Benefits of L-Carnosine for Autistic Children

Possible Benefits of L-Carnosine for Children with Autism - https://www.autismparentingmagazine.com/news-benefits-l-carnosine-autistic-children/

What is L-Carnosine?

L-Carnosine is classified as a dipeptide, which is a compound made up of amino acid molecules that are linked together. It enhances frontal lobe function in the brain. Research suggests that it is also a powerful antioxidant.

A synthetic form of carnosine is available and sold as a supplement to help treat a variety of health issues. These include liver disease, cancer, cataracts, and Alzheimer’s disease. Some of these supplements include CogniCare and Ignicar. It is also marketed as an anti-aging nutrient. Some doctors and researchers claim that carnosine is beneficial to children with autism.

Research indicates that L-Carnosine may help autistic children in many ways. The most important benefit is an improvement in the child’s behavior. It can also improve language skills and enhance nervous system function. Studies show that children who take L-Carnosine supplements improved in:

• vocabulary
  • language comprehension
  • communication
  • socialization
  • object recognition
  • awareness of surroundings
  • fine motor skills
  • auditory processing

Special Offer

Don't miss out on our special offer.
Click here to find out more

L-Carnosine and its effects on children with autism

Doctor Michael G. Chez and his team conducted a double-blind, placebo-controlled study of L-Carnosine. In the study, 31 children with autism ages of 3-12 years old received either an L-Carnosine supplement or a placebo.

The study lasted eight weeks. Most of the children who were taking L-Carnosine supplements showed significant improvement in behavior, socialization, and communication skills.

The amount and percentage of the children’s improvement were based on the standards of the Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS), the Gilliam Autism Rating Scale (GARS), and the Expressive and Receptive One-Word Picture Vocabulary tests (E/ROWPVT).

Reports given by the children’s parents were also used in the assessment of the children’s improvement. The children who were taking the placebo instead of L-Carnosine showed no improvements. The researchers stated that “Oral supplementation with L-Carnosine resulted in demonstrable improvements in autistic behaviors, as well as increases in language comprehension that reached statistical significance.”

The results of the study were published in the Journal of Child Neurology in 2002. The original article and more details about Doctor Chez’s study can be found here: http://www.cherabfoundation.org/2003/some-carnosine-resources/

According to research, it takes one to eight weeks after a child takes L-Carnosine that the improvement is seen, supporting the theory that there is indeed a benefit.

Diabetics are also said to have favorable results when taking L-Carnosine. People on a ketogenic and gluten/casein-free diet can take this supplement. L-Carnosine can also improve EEG abnormalities and myoclonic and generalized seizures.

No harmful physical side effects are reported by those taking L-Carnosine for autism. High dosage may overstimulate some children, causing hyperactivity, irritability, or insomnia. This can happen to children who are manic and/or hyperactive. The side effects usually resolve if the dose is adjusted. Many parents have reported that their children seem to sleep better once they are on L-Carnosine.

While these studies present a favorable stance on L-Carnosine for autism, they are still relatively new. There is much about L-Carnosine that may still be unknown. Always consult a physician before starting any natural or over-the-counter supplement.

Sources

Autism Parenting Magazine tries to deliver honest, unbiased reviews, resources, and advice, but please note that due to the variety of capabilities of people on the spectrum, information cannot be guaranteed by the magazine or its writers. Medical content, including but not limited to, text, graphics, images and other material contained within is never intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of a physician with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition and never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read within.

Amy KD Tobik

Amy KD Tobik, Editor-in-Chief of Autism Parenting Magazine, has more than 30 years of experience as a published writer and editor. A graduate of Sweet Briar College in Virginia, Amy’s background includes magazine, newspaper, and book publishing. As a special needs advocate and editor, she coordinates with more than 300 doctors, autism specialists, and researchers to ensure people diagnosed with autism receive the services and supports they need for life. She has two adult children and lives in the Carolinas with her husband.

• Avatar Patty says:

What dose of carnosiine would we give a 8 year old male?

• Avatar Simon says:

Hi we tried 400ml with our 4 year old. There were no negative side affects and some positive results. Hard to tell what was down to the medication or general progress at that age though

• Avatar Simon says:

It was actually 400mg twice a day which was about three quarters of a capsule twice a day

• Avatar Lizzy says:

My non Verbal four year old has started to talk. I give 200mg twice a day, as the larger doses stopped her from sleeping. She is repeating everything I say and her comphrension and cognitive functions have improved. My daughter has stopped skimming and spinning. I have lots of spontaneous speech and genuine requesting. I am very happy that Dr Chez did this triail. This treatment is safe and does not cause other problems. Thanks Dr Chez, Lizzy, Australia

• Avatar Hameem says:

We tried this on my 2.5 year old and he shows good improvement. However, after 8 week we reduced the quantity by half and we started to see hyper active behavior again. I have couple of questions. Are there any recommendation on how long this supplement to be used ? Can this be used along with early intervention programs ?

• Avatar Tash says:

Hi, can anyone tell me of a note worthy carnosine supplier. I live in Australia. But need to import because not avail here.

• Avatar Rachel says:

My son’s doctor had us order the L-carnosine online from Kirkman Labs. He trusted their quality. Also, they sell it in 200mg capsules, which works better for dosaging. Good luck!

• Avatar Ananth says:

Hi

Can anyone in India suggest where we can get this tablet and What is the dosage to be given

• Avatar Arleen says:

Hello Ananth,
      Vitacost.com ships internationally and they do ship to India. They sell their own brand and name brands supplements. They sell this supplement in capsule and tablet.

The brand called NOW, is of good quality, which is the one I use. You can research the brands and check the ingridients before you purchase.

Hope this helps.

• Avatar Sini says:

L carnosine liquid is available in certain pharmacies in India but you need prescription.

• Avatar Aravin says:

You can get from brio bliss distributor. They having it in Syrup form under they branding cognicare.

• Avatar Judy says:

what dose would you suggest for a 10yr

• Avatar zeinab elmi says:

in the research they used 400 mg twice a day. I have a 13 years old that I just started with. I give him 400 once a day and then will increase it to twice in a weeks time.

• Avatar Melanie says:

What is the weight of your 13 year old? I have an 11 yhear old but she only weighs 60 pounds (on a good day) so I am afraid that may be too much for her

• Avatar Tracy says:

Is this beneficial for adults with autism ?

• Avatar Susana Henry says:

Hi my son is autism speaking in one word and hyperactive..shal I buy this..will it affect any other parts..give me suggestions or it is drowsy medicine..Pls explain

• Avatar Arpitha says:

How long have uu been using it? I read there will b regression once u stop using it

• Avatar Vihang says:

3.5 year old child diagnosis mild Autism Dr suggest brainwise Syrup & cognicare Syrup for BD it’s useful for child please tell me this medicine no side effects sure

• Avatar apeksha says:

Hi, my son is 2.5 yrs old and dr diagnosis mild autism…He give us brain wise and ten on ten and congnicare ….Could u plz suggest should I give him L carnosine liquid or syrup ??? And where can I get this medicine? And also suggest how much qty should I give liquid or capsule?? Plzz suggest asap

• Avatar Edna says:

Hi Apeksha! Thanks so much for reaching out to us – your question is an interesting one. We suggest you talk to your child’s pediatrician or family doctor about your concerns on whether to give your child the syrup type of L-Carnosine as well as how many or how often should you give him. Be sure to tell the doctor all your questions and have them noted. Hope your next appointment goes well and you get the answers you need.

• Avatar mohammad says:

Hi Dear Friends
    I need help. my daughter is 2.5 yrs old and dr diagnosis of mild autism. But my daughter was more talkative from 18 months to 26months. But suddenly she stops talking more in 27 months. She was using more youtube those days and addicted to youtube. so she was just singing rhymes of youtube and other words our mother tongue she was not using. so please suggest what to do where shall I go to which doctor. I’m living in Hyderabad. please help me.

• Avatar Edna says:

Hi Mohammad! Thanks so much for reaching out to us. We suggest you talk to your child’s pediatrician or family doctor about your concerns and to get the right solutions for your child’s situation. Be sure to tell the doctor all your concerns. Hope your next appointment goes well and you get the answers you need.

• Avatar Paddu says:

Hi All, My son has been diagnosed with ASD when he was 1.6yrs and now he is 2.9years. Our neurologist said he has ‘essential autism’. So, what is essential autism, what does it mean?can he get better over a period of time. We are giving Cognicare syrup (L-carnosine) from past one month but I haven’t seen any noticeable changes yet. I am giving 5ml per day. Is this correct or should I change the dosage.

Regards,
    Paddu

• Avatar Edna says:

Thanks so much for reaching out to us – your question is an interesting one. We suggest you talk to your child’s pediatrician or family doctor about your concerns so your child will be given the right dosage of L-Carnosine. Be sure to tell the doctor your concerns regarding the medication dosage just so it is noted. Hope your next appointment goes well and you get the answers you need.

• Avatar kirtu says:

My pediatrician prescribed my daughter who is 4 years having mild autism and language delay the L-carnosine from cognicare syrup I’m giving her morning 5ml and night 5ml she is not sleeping at n8 at all what should we do v have to reduce the syrup please help me.

• Avatar Edna says:

Thanks so much for reaching out to us – your question is an interesting one.

We suggest you talk to your child’s doctor about your concerns about the effects of the medication given to your child. Be sure to tell the doctor your concerns regarding the medication dosage just so it is noted. Hope your next appointment goes well and you get the answers you need.

• >