Money Saving Suggestions

How to Get Paid for Helping a Disabled Child in the Home

by Leslie Burby


Call or visit your state’s disability state council. To find your state’s disability council click the link –

Get the grant application forms that fit you and your family’s specific needs from the Vocational Rehabilitation and Public Assistance department. Fill out the forms and send them to the appropriate state developmental disabilities council. If you get denied, apply to another grant. There are always new grants. Don’t give up.

Get Paid Helping Disabled Child Home

Also, depending on what state you live in, (and the severity of your child’s disability) you might be able to receive social security income.

Another option is to look into “respite funds.” Respite funding is to help caregivers have a break or have fun as a family. The lists are often long but it is well worth applying.

For more information and tips please click the ehow link, join a support group (, or an online support community (try searching facebook), or join



Leslie Burby

Leslie Burby

Leslie Burby is a former Editor of Autism Parenting Magazine and a public speaker on autism related issues. She is the author of three autism related books: Emotional Mastery for Adult's with Autism (2013); Early Signs of Autism in Toddlers, Infants and Babies (2014); and the children's book Grace Figures Out School (2014).